Saturday, July 26, 2008

The End Is Near! (Or How I Suvived 3 Weeks Of Mids)


My family/social life has been on hold for the last three weeks because I've had the pleasure (if you can call it that) of working what we like to call the "A" shift. The A shift is essentially mids, or the graveyard shift and for my department it starts at 10:00 p.m. and ends at 8:00 a.m. the next day. It's a 10 hour middle-of-the-night meat grinder. I don't normally work these as we have two very much appreciated guys who have thrown themselves at the alter of the A shift to cover them in four 10-hour work weeks. Typically I work five 8-hour work weeks that consist of three days and two swings (evenings). My regular work schedule is fairly cohesive with my family schedule and I'll be glad to go back to it after tonight, my last A shift.

To make it through, I've discovered a little pattern to maintain alertness (and sanity). I go to work at 10 p.m. and try to walk as much as possible to wake up and keep my blood flowing. There's plenty of walking to be done at airports, so that's nice. Sometime between 2 and 3 a.m. I have a lunch and hit an energy drink. I had never had energy drinks until this shift, and I doubt I will again, unless I'm forced to work this schedule again. That gets me over the hump and through my most thorough and intricate inspection, the night airfield safety self-inspection, or light check as we call it. It involves checking every single light and sign on the airfield and can take up to two hours. This is because we have thousands of airfield lights. I hit my other inspections as the sun tries to creep over the horizon starting around 5:30 a.m. and before I know it, 7:30 is knocking on the door and my relief steps through it. A quick passdown and I'm out the door and in bed by 9:00 a.m. I try to sleep at least 6 - 7 hours while I work this crazy shift so I'm awake again by 4:30 p.m. usually. This is the hardest part of the day for me. I only have a few hours with my family, but I feel so completely groggy and miserable, that I just want to sit around and be a grump. Fortunately, Ben forces me to play with him, which always makes me happy. Kim will make dinner a little later than normal for my sake (God bless her), because I'm usually not hungry until around 7:00 p.m. Then it's some quick family time, a shower and shave, and I'm back out the door for another mid.

I really could not have done it without the support of Kim. She's been more than great and super supportive. Plus, she's baked more goodies than I've been able to stuff down my mouth. Jack and Nancy have also been a blessing by watching Ben on Thursday and Friday mornings which is when I typically have him. This has been very necessary sleep time. We owe them big. Ben started a new thing during this schedule where when I wake up from sleeping and come out into the living room, he runs excitedly into my arms and gives me a big hug. I love being his father. Of course, I have to give God credit for helping me retain my sanity and not falling asleep at the wheel. This is the most I've ever written. It's looking like one of Kelly's blogs.

I tried to take a lot of photos during the night. Here are a few of them.




Sunrise at Eppley Airfield


This guy hung out with me one early morning


Delta upgraded several RJs to mainline for the National Veterans Wheelchair Games which are taking place in town.


This morning I drove the OPS8 truck over the 100K mark! Woohoo!

1 comment:

Kelly Anne said...

Hey! Are you slamming the lenght of my blogs, punk?!

I like the night shots.